i A Time and a Place...: My Hero-My Uncle Bill Johnson...

Monday, May 29, 2006

My Hero-My Uncle Bill Johnson...


This is my Uncle Bill, the young fellow on the right. (That's Uncle Frank on the left-his name tag got chopped off) I never knew Uncle Bill personally so my information may be a bit sketchy. He was my mothers' little brother. His name was, William Alvha Johnson and he was the son of Alvha Henry and Lily Lorado Johnson. I have his birth place as Coke County, Texas.

He had three brothers and five sisters. He married Bennie Turner in 1942 and they had at least one child whom I met-Bill Johnson of here in California. They may have had more children, I don't know.

I don't have the date of when but he entered the US Navy during WWII. He was serving on a US Naval ship and reported missing in action and later declared killed in action off Anzio, Italy, in February of 1944. (This is the information I got about Uncle Bills' service.)

Uncle Bill is my hero. He is the only family member I know of who died defending our country.

I was in the Army for three years and never had to face an enemy in combat, thanks to Uncle Bill.

I moved around this country, from town to town; I got and quit many jobs in my lifetime, thanks to Uncle Bill.

I was married twice, to women of my own choosing and had a bunch of kids, as many as I wanted, thanks to Uncle Bill.

I played music for fun and money and I worked until I retired and am living in relative comfort with my wife, thanks to Uncle Bill.

We have a four year old car and a three year old pickup truck, my wife has her computer and I have my computer and we have plenty to eat and good medical care and are secure in our home and in our lives, thanks to uncle Bill.

We travel whenever we feel like it to visit our relatives and friends, thanks to Uncle Bill.

For all of the times I changed jobs,
all our moving around, having all of our children, gaining all of our posessions,
all of our traveling around, visiting people in other cities and states,
all of our visits to a doctor for help to cure our ills and to write this memorial to my hero, my Uncle Bill,
I never had to ask anyone for permission for any of it, thanks to my Uncle Bill!

He is my Hero, this US sailorboy, William Alvha Johnson!

God Bless America and God Bless my hero, my Uncle Bill!

Later...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a story ab9out a hero,. But a good one. No, Uncle Bill never had any more kids. He and Bennie married and he went in the service and was kiled when she found she was pregnant. She married Mr Owens while she was p.g. and he raised Bill as his own. She never married after mr Owens died. Good writing.!! Keep it up; Shike

7:28 PM  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

We remember! God bless him and all of those who died and all who came back, too.

9:07 PM  
Blogger pappy said...

A toast to all the uncle bill's out there.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow what a great tribute to my grandfather! I (William Alvha Johnson III) know I feel the same way and so did my father (William A. Johnson Jr.). My Father became a Hayward Police officer (a server of the people) after his term in the navy. Even after he retired in 1979 he still was a active person to up hold the law until his death in 2000 when he past away on his vacation visiting his mother. Whom with he was still close with. I Miss him everyday. and so does my little brother James Michael Johnson. and thank you for your story.
William A. Johnson III

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home