i A Time and a Place...: It's The Year Of Our Lord, 2007.....

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

It's The Year Of Our Lord, 2007.....

It is a new year; 2007! I have decided to celebrate the coming of the new year with a few of my favorite poems. I hope you enjoy them, too! Happy New Year!

One of my favorites is an excerpt from a beautiful poem written by William Wordsworth named,

“Lucy.”

SHE dwelt among the untrodden ways

Beside the springs of Dove,

A Maid whom there were none to praise

And very few to love:

A violet by a mossy stone

Half hidden from the eye!

Fair as a star, when only one

Is shining in the sky.

She lived unknown, and few could know

When Lucy ceased to be;

But she is in her grave, and oh,

The difference to me!

The next is a poem of my own. Actually it was written to be a song but all songs are poems, just without the music. Enjoy.

Toy Telephone

Once there was a toy telephone.

I miss my playmate since she has gone away,

She's gone away and left me all alone.

Now I can't see her to ask her out to play

so I'll call her on my toy telephone.

I really miss her and want her to come back;

Without her I'm so blue and all alone.

I think she'll change her mind if I can tell her how I feel

So I'll call her on my toy telephone.

We had a quarrel, you know how children are,

When playing house they sometimes dis-agree.

But now I'm lonely and I promise I'll be good

If only she'll come back and play with me.

But if I cannot reach her, I'll leave a message there,

And tell her that I need her here at home,

For playing house is not the same without my favorite girl

So I'll call her on my toy telephone.
Once there was a toy telephone.

In good conscience I cannot leave out a Quatrain from Omar Khayyams Rubaiyat that pics my fancy. Ah, but if only Paradise were indeed, enow!

A Book of Verses underneath the Bough,

A Jug of Wine, a Loaf of Bread---and Thou

Beside me singing in the Wilderness--

Oh, Wilderness were Paradise enow!

And last but not in the least, least, is a little missile I constructed while abiding in Shingletown, being bored one day. I hope it gets you right in the heart!

How Great Can This Love Be

How great can this love be that breaks your heart

but leaves you smiling through your tears

And tells you, " Find another

and the pain and sorrow you will soon forget."

If putting on a smile and saying,

"Soon I'll find another one to Love,"

will get you through the tempest then,

believe me, child, you haven't known love yet!

Later…

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jim, hope 2007 is a good one for both you and Donna!

12:26 AM  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Thanks for the poems - very nice. A belated Happy New Year to you and your family!

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home