i A Time and a Place...: 'Gold!'...We Found Gold!!!'...

Saturday, February 17, 2007

'Gold!'...We Found Gold!!!'...

Well, we did find gold. Sandy and I went to 'the creek' yesterday and did some placer mining. We literally dug for gold. (If you can call breaking up rocks in the creek bed, digging; and I do.

It was a nice warm day and our bosses..er, that is, our wives asked if we would like to help them make a couple of quilts for some new born grandchildren. We said, "Uh,..er-.-.well, uhh," and I guess that was a good enough answer for them because they said, in unison, "Then get your fat asses out of the way! Go for a hike or something; just don't get in our way!

We thought their suggestion of going to the creek and panning for gold (that's what I understood them to mean) was a good idea so we did that little thing!

It was nice on the creek, about 74 degrees with just a mild breeze and the water was like ice. In other words, it was a perfect day for panning.

We did a couple of pans and it got us a bit excited to find gold in the first pan so we really dug in.

Each pan had numerous small bits of placer gold and one or two pieces, big enough to be called, "Pickers."

We were there for several hours and did pretty well, considering the area had been worked many times in the last hundred and fifty years.

I found a pretty nice sized 'picker' (I like to call it a nugget even though it was pretty small)

...and Sandy found one, also. It's pictured to the right..er..-the left..-oh,ah...below.. in the brackets..

(.)

Yes, that's it...in the brackets; so we both did pretty well.( if you combine all of it)

The last pan was the best.

All in all, we had a nice time. Maybe later we can find a place on the creek that hasn't been worked to death and we can find enough to make it worthwhile. It doesn't hurt to dream!

Later...

4 Comments:

Blogger sandy said...

Now, I really think my gold flake was bigger than that. It looked like it would weigh a ton at least.

Don't make me "Bogart" you.

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so interesting! I did not realize that people still do this. What does one do with the gold flakes after they pan them? Can you sell them and if so what sort of money do you get for them? Is it difficult to learn to do? It would be an interesting field trip for our family, if you can do it anywhere. Can you?
Laura
Hamilton, ON

12:05 PM  
Blogger Ca... said...

Yes, Mr Sandy, I was jesting about the size and number of gold flakes. 'chuckle'

Laura, we have a good time panning for gold. I think I'll take a picture of the real amount of gold we found. It'll be a day or so.
Ps FYI I am writing a post on cutting grapes. I'll put it in my other blog.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Ca... said...

Laura, to finish answering your query; there are several things we can do with the gold we find. If there is enough, we can sell it for around 80 to 90% of spot.(the current bulk price) Or, if the pieces are big enough, we can sell to jewelers.(This would probably get us above spot, depending on the nugget and how badly the jeweler wants it) Or, we can surprise our wives with a gold necklace or bracelet. Or, as I have been doing, we can keep it and look at and slobber..-er', I mean,-admire it.

7:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home