i A Time and a Place...: A Great Day...

Monday, September 26, 2005

A Great Day...

The jam session was great! Everyone had a good time and there were 24 people taking turns singing and playing. It took about two hours for everyone to get a turn.

The food was good, too. The only problem with the food was, as usual, most of it was salads and desert and things like macaroni salad, potato salad, pies, cakes, cookies and everything else fattening.But it was all good.

Donna did a couple of songs we had worked on a bit. One was, "I Fall To Pieces," a Harlan Howard/Hank Cochran song that was made famous by Patsy Cline among others. Of course Donna does the best job on it.

I did a couple I have wanted to do for a while. One was, "Begging To You," a song written by Heather Miles and recorded by Marty Robbins. I don't usually do that one because another fellow had been doing it but he wasn't there today.

And I did a song called, "Momma Bake a Pie, Daddy Kill a Chicken." It's about a war veteran who lost his legs in the war. It's actually a very sad song. It was written by Tom T Hall and recorded by Tom T. Hall and Bobby Bare.

Donna and I do a lot of songs that are awkward to some of the other players. They have a rolling type of rhythm that a lot of country players find hard to do.

A new fellow came to the session. He was an old time country player and a pretty good singer. He was down on the singers list because he came in later than most of us. I had been playing a bass guitar but this fellow brought one so I resumed playing my Guild. When the fellow got up to sing, he commented that he hadn't known there were such good players and singers at these sessions. He must have been referring to Donna and me. 'blush'

Ernie and Arlene came and so did Grady. I hadn't seen them since the last time Donna and I played at the senior citizen nutrition center, before Barry died. A couple of folks asked if we would start playing there again now and I told them we wouldn't. They acted disappointed. Ernie and Arlene sang a couple of songs. They are getting better doing songs together.

Grady did some fancy picking with his new John Lennon Epiphone guitar. It's an acoustic with an electric pickup built in. It really sounded great.

Anyhow, a good time was had by all!!!

Later...

6 Comments:

Blogger bigwhitehat said...

Wish I could have been there.

5:35 AM  
Blogger Ca... said...

Me, too. We always have a good time. Stop by anytime you're in the neighborhood.

8:14 AM  
Blogger bigwhitehat said...

I'd love to hear you do a yodeling song.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Stratu said...

Great post. Good times. I like the part about how some others have a bit of trouble with that crazy rhythm. You and Donna is just cool cats that's why you can do it ;]

6:47 PM  
Blogger sandy said...

Donna is a real love and has a good voice. Now that Jim is distracted and thinks I'm after bwh's wife, I can make a move on her.

Ouch! (wife looking over shoulder again)

P.S. Jim is a very good singer.

11:27 PM  
Blogger Ca... said...

'gosh'...''blush''...Thanks for the comments.

6:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home