i A Time and a Place...: Post Script To My Last Post...

Monday, February 25, 2008

Post Script To My Last Post...

While I worked for my brother-in-law in Odessa, I was paid a dollar and ten cents an hour with time and a half for over forty hours a week. Our regular work days were ten hours a day, Monday through Friday and half a day on Saturday. We were paid for the time it took to get to wherever we had to go each day but came back on our own time.

My pay came to about sixty eight bucks and change a week. Take home after taxes was between sixty one and sixty three bucks. It was the most money I had ever had at one time. I thought I was "shittin' in tall cotton," as the saying goes. I gave my sister about twenty bucks a week for my keep.

With the second check, I bought a wrist watch from Zales Jewelers for 37 dollars and ninety five cents! It was the first wrist watch I ever had. It was an Avalon and sort of clover shaped with green facing. I remember that because, at that time I was going through an Irish heritage pride period; hence, the shamrock watch. I don't remember what ever happened to that watch but I was sure proud of it!

Thank God for whichever Angel He sent to watch over me and get me to where I am now!

Later...

2 Comments:

Blogger Lucy Stern said...

That is a lot of money for that day and time.

11:34 AM  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

Wow. And I thought my dear hubby worked hard now. I know hearing some of these stories they are reminders of things could be worse now than they are.

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home