i A Time and a Place...: It's Been a While...

Thursday, April 03, 2008

It's Been a While...

...since I wrote something in this blog. Whilst perusing my sister's blog, I came across this little episode that happened to my Dad and three sisters some years back.(1939)
My mother, brother and I had ridden the freights and hitch-hiked to California earlier and Daddy decided he and the girls needed to come from Phoenix to California to find us. It was a long, eventful trip for them and here is how part of it happened.

"...A woman came out to the big room and Daddy told her we were on our way to California to Mother and she said," Mister, you are already in California!" Daddy told her we all needed some food then we would go on our way and find Mother...

After we had eaten, she took us upstairs where there were long rows of single bunks. I think they were just cots but she said this was where we would sleep. Mickey and I would sleep here but Joan would sleep in another room. We didn't like that idea. Mickey said Joan was supposed to sleep with us.

"Well," the woman said, "Look who is telling me how to run my business!!" We didn't say anything else.

She said we could all go out in the back yard to play till dinner. We went and stuck together like glue. We were finally called in to eat dinner and we went down the stairs again and sat at the long tables. We had soup again and sandwiches. We didn't know any better so we thought it was really good; at least better than we had in the past two weeks.

Then up the stairs we went again. I slept on the cot next to Mickey. We were so tired I hardly knew what was going on 'till a woman came in with a cot and set it up between us and said,"Here is your little sister. She won't stop crying."
So Joan got to sleep with us after all! I think she got into bed with Mickey..."

What a time that was and what a life people like us had! Growing up was itself an adventure! If I could do it over again I wouldn't change a thing!

Later...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I CAN'T AGREE WITH THE GUTIAR? PLAYER. MY TIME AS A YOUNG ONE WAS HARD AND I HAD ONLY A FEW GOOD TIMES TO REMEMBER. I WOULDN'T WANT TO LIVE IT ALL OVER AGAIN.NOW THAT I STARTED THINKING-- THERE WAS QUIT A FEW TIMES I COULD HAVE A DO OVER.SOME DAY I MIGHT WRITE ABOUT SOME OF THEM.

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home