i A Time and a Place...: Two More Quatrains Of Omar's Rubaiyat...

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Two More Quatrains Of Omar's Rubaiyat...

Edward Fitzgerald's Second Edition-Quatrains 27 and 28
27

Alike for those who for TO-DAY prepare,

And those that after some TO-MORROW stare,

A Muezzin from the Tower of Darkness cries,"

Fools! your Reward is neither Here nor There!"

28


Another Voice, when I am sleeping, cries,

"The Flower should open with the Morning skies."

And a retreating Whisper, as I wake--

"The Flower that once has blown for ever dies."

Later…

3 Comments:

Blogger bigwhitehat said...

It is amazing how well his stuff translates into English.

4:19 AM  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

Interesting. Are these quotes from a book of sorts.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Ca... said...

bwh-It is. I really enjoy reading it.

tweety:
Omar Khayyam (1048-1122) ... Omar Khayyam was an Islamic scholar who was a poet as well as a mathematician...
I am somewhat of a poet myself so can appreciate his works. I think he is about the only thing of any worth to ever come out of Iran. (Persia) I have his book, "The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam. You can see the Edward Fitzgerald translations at this link.

http://www.therubaiyat.com/fitzindex.htm

You can read some of mine at this link: http://go_with_jim.tripod.com/

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home