i A Time and a Place...: Love Apple...

Friday, August 12, 2005

Love Apple...

My father-in-law was a lover of apples and one day we were discussing apples and the term,'Love Apple,' came up. I really liked the term (not knowing at that time that a love apple is actually a tomato) so I decided to write a song about it. I called it:

Love Apple

Winesap and Johnnie and Red Roman Beauty,
These fruits are so sweet and so firm and so round-
You must bend down the limb, pick them off while they're growing
Or they'll shrivel and die and fall off on the ground.

The Earth is their Mother , the tree is their Father,
The limbs get their life from the rain and the sun
And give birth to the leaves and the buds and the blossoms
And love apples grow when the cycle is done.


When they're tender and tasty and they're just right for plucking,
If you gently carress them and you pick them with care-
They will nourish and fill you and their juice will enrich you,
But if the blossoms are crushed all the tree will be bare.

You must tend to the roots where the life blood is starting,
To enrichen the soil, you must spread love around,
Because there's nothing as sad as an ageing love apple
That has withered and died and fallen off on the ground.

Later...

2 Comments:

Blogger Redjalapeno said...

Very nice.

I see you do short stories as well...I'll be back!

1:03 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hmmm, I never knew that love apple was actually a tomato. Now, I'm glad I read your post.

1:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home