i A Time and a Place...: I Had a Dream...'yawn'...

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

I Had a Dream...'yawn'...

Night before last, I had a dream. It was about three people I (knew) from when I was a student at Modesto Junior College in 1970. I was going on the GI Bill.

In the dream I saw a fellow (I can't remember the names of any of the people) I had been in a class with studying English Lit or something. I was walking by a raised platform of some sort(it's vague, you know how dreams are) and he was well dressed and had a flashlight with which he was directing people to somewhere.

He looked down and saw me and was embarrassed. I recognized him and said, "I remember you from MJC when you were an usher at the rec hall!"
He didn't want to look at me. I said, "I can't believe you are doing the same thing now as you were in 1970!"

Then I noticed two more people I recognized from MJC. I Said, "You two were at MJC, too, and you're doing the same thing!"
I could hardly believe these three people hadn't progressed at all in 37 years!

Then a thought came to me: "I'm dreaming about three people I really did know when I was going to MJC!" The realization was so strong that it woke me. I had been asleep in my reclining chair. It was six thirty in the morning and I had enjoyed a cofftee and a graham cracker with peanut butter at 0230 while watching the Shepherd's Chapel on tv before drifting off to sleep.

When Mi Espousa, La'Donna d'el Nebraska (a little Mex lingo there)finally awoke, I told her about the dream and axed her if she remembered the three folks I dreamed about from MJC. I was sure she would.
She thought intensely for four or five seconds (about her limit for heavy thinking) and assured me that, not only did she not remember them but they, in fact, had not existed. I was sure they had existed, I was adamant about the expressions, mine of yes and hers of no.

Then a funny thing happened. My fertile and imaginative mind had tricked me. After thinking it over and doing some heavy duty remembering, I realized that I had not only dreamed about people I had known at Modesto Junior College in 1970 but had, also, dreamed (very realistically) they were really real and had really been real people that I had really known at Modesto Junior College in Modesto in 1970.

I have to admit; there were no real people like those in my dream at Modesto Junior College in 1970. The seeming fact of the people in my dream being real people I had really known was itself a dream.

That's my story. Now you'll have to excuse me. I really need to go and take a nap.

Later...

4 Comments:

Blogger tweetey30 said...

Dreams take you into different worlds of your mind. I know I have dreamed that I was falling off a bridge and died but then woke up a few minutes later shaking like a leaf. Hubby has dreamed he is a storm of sorts and destroyed loads of places. Just weird how your minds work when you are sleeping.

9:48 AM  
Blogger bigwhitehat said...

Switch brands.

2:01 AM  
Blogger Ca... said...

tweety,
I have always contended that dreams are the mind's way of cleaning out excess energy, i.e., electrical signals from the brain to make room for more new ones. Like cleaning and defragging a hard drive. And it depends on what we ponder mostly that determines what a dream will be. I have some good ones, for sure!

BWH- I hope you don't mean brands of coffee! There are only one each brands of coffee and beer; Folgers and Bud Light! 'yuk'

10:51 AM  
Blogger tweetey30 said...

Yes after putting it that way I agree with you totally.

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home