i A Time and a Place...: What a Nice Bunch of People...

Saturday, September 29, 2007

What a Nice Bunch of People...

Mi Espousa, La Donna d'el Nebraska (a little Mex lingo there +-) hadn't had a bad cold for quite a while and I guess she missed it some so she heard her sister in San Francisco had one so she went to SF and her sister willingly and lovingly shared hers with Donna; and Donna brought it home. Frankly, I didn't think she really needed a bad cold right now but, you know women. When they really want something, you may as well accept it.

Anyhow, to make a long story short, she wasn't in very good condition when she got here and we were supposed to play a gig at Frontier Hall in Anderson the next morning for an hour and a half. Well, (again) guess what? We were committed to do the job and there wasn't time to cancel so I decided to do it without Donna.

I loaded up my equipment and went to the hall and started setting it up. I was hoping the folks wouldn't notice Donna not being there but, right away, one of the younger folks (a seventy four year old lady) saw I was alone and axed about Donna so I had to tell them Donna was sick and couldn't make it. They oooohhhed and aaahhhed some and offered condolences and stuff so I got started as quickly as I could.

I used my harmonizer with some of the songs and the gig went pretty well.

When I was finished, I went to a table to have the lunch they offered me and, as I started to put it away, a lady came over to me and handed me a card with the name, "Donna Lee," on it. I thanked her for what I thought would be a, 'Sorry you're sick,' card.
When I got home, I gave it to Mi Espousa (a bit more Mex lingo here) and she opened it. To our surprise and pleasure, it was, indeed, a get well card (ain't it cute!)and it had been signed by all thirty or so people at the hall, with a condolence wish from most of them! How sweet and thoughtful!
Well, even though the job is for charity, the appreciation shown by the old folks there makes it well worth doing!

Janey, the manager come over and assured me that the job would be there for us in a month when we get back from our 'Trek to Texas' (with stopovers at Albuquerque, New Mexico, Omaha Nebraska and Sioux City, Iowa) vacation. We appreciate folks who are thoughtful as are these folks and we enjoy entertaining them. (And we enjoy the eight or ten bucks in tips)

Later...

1 Comments:

Blogger tweetey30 said...

For some reason I just lost my comment. I was just saying its nice when you can make someone smile isnt it? I know it makes me feel good. Well hope Donna feels better soon. And also wish you were coming closer to WI. LOL.. I would love to meet you and your wife some day. Talk later and enjoy your trip.

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home