i A Time and a Place...: Memories of Shike...

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Memories of Shike...

I'm on sort of a memory kick, I guess you could say. I spoke to my sister some time back about when I was a small child and she responded with this by e-mail.

" It is now October 10, 2003 and I just got an e-mail from my sister, Shike, with this story. It needs to be in my journal. I’ll copy it in as it was written by her."

"Just got to looking at the picture on the wall and you were about 18 months old. The first Xmas after that you had turned 2 the month after Christmas. I never will forget that one.

Mother never was a hand at making cakes but that year she made a white cake and it smelled so good like vanilla and she made a boiled frosting to go on it. Poured it on it. Made it all soft and juicy. We had it for supper with a pumpkin pie.

We couldn't open our presents till we ate breakfast so we all gobbled down our oatmeal fast as we could. You were still quite small .We all got a huge orange and a big apple. Except you. We all had to give you two slices out of our orange. Mother fed them to you and saved some of yours.

We each got a little bag with Christmas candy in it. Some of those little ribbons and hard candy with soft centers.

Daddy got a big long present and when we all had a mouth full of candy we wanted to see what he got so we kept begging him to please open his present. When he opened it it was a huge peppermint stick. Wow did our eyes pop open!! Of course we all stood around him until he finally said, well I guess I'd better give all of you some of my candy. That made all of us happy. I remember when he broke it up and gave all of us some of it. Daddy always loved peppermint forever after that.

I got 2 pink ribbons, Joan got 2 yellow ribbons. I think Mickey got a little necklace cause she never did have her hair in pigtails. also a little waist apron Mother had made her. I think Joan and I got a pair of anklets.

Buddy got a new top and a new pair of overalls. I don't remember if mom or Daddy got anything but we all shared our candy with Mom. We didn't have a turkey but had a big stewing hen. Mother made dressing with it. We had a good time oh yes, you got a ball with4 colors on it. You could throw it clear across the room and chase it down. We would sit on the floor and roll it back and forth to you. Well I just thought I would share these memories with you before I went to bed. Take care of my sister.*(Donna) Love to both of you. Shike.***"

Memories-Later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home