i A Time and a Place...: Old Timey Cooking and Dictionating...

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Old Timey Cooking and Dictionating...

I was perusing an old timey cookbook that I bought at the Salvation Army Store for Mi Espousa (a little Mex lingo here) for a buck and I ran across a recipe that called for a 'little pearlash.' Now what the hey is 'pearlash,' I axed myself. Well, (I say that a lot)of course I didn't know so I thought I might google it, and so I did.
As it turned out, it is, more or less, potash. (ashes to you)

But during my ramblings, I came across this very interesting web site called, "
http://1828.mshaffer.com." It's an old 1800s dictionary and, being the curious type person I am, I decided to look up a modern and very widely used word, "Boot." (you know; boot up or reboot, etc) I was, and I pray you will be, fascinated with the entire definition. Here it is below:

boot

BOOT, v.t. [Eng. but. The primary sense of the root is to advance, or carry forward.]

1. To profit; to advantage

It shall not boot them.

2. To enrich; to benefit.

I will boot thee.

BOOT, n. Profit; gain; advantage; that which is given to make the exchange equal, or to supply the deficiency of value in one of the things exchanged.

1. To boot, in addition to; over and above; besides; a compensation for the difference of value between things bartered; as, I will give my house for yours,with one hundred dollars to boot.

2. Spoil; plunder. [See Booty.]

BOOT, n.

1. A covering for the leg, made of leather, and united with a shoe. This garment was originally intended for horsemen, but is now generally worn by gentlemen on foot. The different sorts are fishing-boots, worn in water; hunting-boots, a thinner kind for sportsmen; jack-boots, a strong kind for horsemen; and half-boots.

2. A kind or rack for the leg, formerly used to torture criminals. This was made of boards bound fast to the legs by cords; or a boot or buskin, made wet and drawn upon the legs and then dried by the fire, so as to contract and squeeze the legs.

3. A box covered with leather in the fore part of a coach. Also, an apron or leathern cover for a gig or chair, to defend persons from rain and mud. This latter application is local and improper.



Now, I ax you, ain't that neat? And you ought to see Donnas' new cook book. It's named, "The Cook, Not Mad or Rational, Cookery."It has some dandy recipes in it. Maybe I'll post some of them later. Enjoy!

Later...

1 Comments:

Blogger tweetey30 said...

Hope Donna likes her new cookbook. I have a few around the house and I cant find one of them since we moved into the house.

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home